Friday, December 22, 2006

Where's Christmas?

Every year as Christmas nears, I am filled with the christmas spirit. I can't help but smile as I pass houses illuminated with christmas lights and covered with a thin veil of snow. The house is elegantly decorated with tacky garland and christmas ornaments I made when I was 9. The old people on my paper route smile and wish me merry christmas instead of yelling at me because their papers were late. Rude shoppers shove me aside as they are in a frenzy to pick up last minute gifts, and I politely apologize. I just can't get angry at this time of year. This is the case every year...

Not this year.

This year as christmas nears, I am filling with subtle bitterness. I can't help but grumble as I pass houses sparsely decorated with dull christmas lights. The the streets are damp and mushy with rain. My house is still elegantly decorated with tacky garland and christmas ornaments I made when I was nine(possibly the one redeeming thing so far). The old people on my paper route complain because their papers are wet, then awkwardly stare at me, waiting for an apology that I don't even owe. Rude shoppers basically tackle me as I wade through them, simply trying to take out the cardboard and get back to work alive. I have very little Christmas spirit left...

Maybe because I'm attaching the wrong type of significance to the holiday?

Bah.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey pat its me,i know u havnt heard from me in a couple of years. It was quite a shock seeing u about a month ago @ stc,u seemed like a guy that ur height wouldnt bother u,while i am slightly taller than thou,i feel like a lil person. I went across ur msn name like i do wit alot of my msn friends,just 2 see wat wisdom i can catch on they want ppl 2 c. i came across ur blog spot,so i had some free time and checked it out,very deep pat. if i were a better friend i would have known all these things bout u,but i have failed 2 do so as an old pimple brother. i just didnt want u 2 be down 4 christmas boss,im just leavin a message from an old friend sayin merry christmas,hopefully liftin ur spirit,just a lil bit.Drive Slow Homie

Isis said...

Haha pimple brother